Angel has photobombed the wine walk in September, and we’ve warmed up during the Warm Bevvy Walk in December. This year, the Main-Dempster Mile is adding another walk to its repertoire with the Sauce Walk! On Thursday, May 17 I will be popping up a temporary gallery in Dietrich 21/D21 during Sauce Walk, A Neighborhood Art & Dessert Crawl in Evanston.
My friends at Dietrich 21 will be serving a dessert bite and beverage for you to enjoy while you browse. I hope you’ll buy a ticket (only $16 online, gets you entrance to almost 40 other galleries besides mine) and stop by to see me. Stroll through Pop-Up Art Galleries located inside the shops of the Mile, and sample delicious dessert bites and beverages along the way.
Sauce Walk! A Neighborhood Art & Dessert Crawl is hosted by The Main-Dempster Mile Thursday, May 17 from 5:30 PM to 8 PM. All profits from this event will benefit the Main-Dempster Mile Public Art Fund which enables the mural project described below. We had a blast shooting some promotional photos that you will see on D21’s Instagram feed.
Before I get to the artists and their storefront pairings, I know you really want to know what is served first. Apparently the sauce is secret, and we’re really doing desserts at this walk. You will be able to sample Choux, Chocolate-covered Strawberries, Baklava, Gooey Butter Cake, Coconut Macarons, Honey Lavender Truffles, Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies and 10 gluten free dessert options. I kinda wish I could do the walk.
Dietrich Horsey will provide muscle testing during the art walk, so you can get an immediate assessment on how to best accommodate for all the desserts! Dietrich’s Fitness Studio is located at 739 Main Street in Evanston. Near the Main Street Metra and CTA stations, across from Vogue Fabrics. There is a metered parking lot next to the studio, and you can also find street parking along the route.
This celebration of arts and eats on the Main-Dempster Mile includes:
Local Women Artists – showing at Ice House Gallery, 609 South Boulevard.
Along Dempster and Chicago:
- Socorro Mucino – showing at French Kiss Cafe
- Joan Muller – showing at Rainbows for All Children, 614 Dempster St
- Eric Beauchamp – showing at Board & Brush Creative Studio, 802 Dempster St
- Meredith Kopelman – showing at FRiO Gelato, 1301 Chicago Ave
- Clark Ellithorpe & Judy Solomon – showing at Space 900, 816 Dempster St
- Karna Erickson – showing at Karna Studio, 1309 Chicago Ave
- Juried High School Student Photography Exhibit – showing at Perspective Gallery, 1310 1/2B Chicago Ave
- Risa Posner – showing at Stumble & Relish, 1312 Chicago Ave
- Amanda Evanston – showing at Amanda Evanston Freund Studio & Gallery, 1310A Chicago Ave
Along Greenleaf and Chicago:
- Artisan Rugs – showing at Oscar Isberian Rugs, 1028 Chicago Ave
- Jake Chaitkin, ThingsSpun – showing at MBG Products, 1043 Chicago Ave
- Community Mural Input – Autobarn Fiat & Alfa Romeo, 1034 Chicago Ave
You can also provide input on the next Community Mural. Samples of work from 5-6 muralists will be showcased during Sauce Walk. You’ll have the opportunity to browse their work and vote on which one you’d like to see on the purple wall in the Trader Joe’s Parking lot at Soapie’s, on 1231 Chicago Avenue. The voting is May 17, 5:30pm-8:00pm at Autobarn Alfa Romeo & Fiat Showroom, 1034 Chicago Avenue. You do NOT need to buy a ticket to Sauce Walk in order to visit Autobarn and give your input on the mural. Walk-ups are welcome.
Along Main and Chicago:
- Lindy Stockton – showing at Evanston Stitchworks, 906 Sherman Ave
- Maike’s Marvels – showing at D21 Fit Studio, 739 Main St
- Virginia O. Roeder – showing at Guitar Works Ltd,, 709 Main St
- Sharon Bladholm – showing at Cultivate Urban Rainforest & Gallery, 704 Main St
- Karen Ovington, Jacob Kelleher – showing at Virag Jewelers, 703 Main St
- Rob Larson, Barbara Grimsley, Chris Smith Evans – showing at Plain & Simple Furniture, 713 Main St
- Ice House North (selected pieces from Ice House Gallery) – showing at La Principal, 700 Main St
- Atelier de Formation et de Promotion des Artisans – showing at Ten Thousand Villages, 719 Main St
- Dennis B. O’Malley – showing at Swantiques Pop-Up Shop, 518 Main St
- Deal – showing at Amanecer Taco Shop, 512 Main St
Other participants to be matched with artists:
- Few Spirits, 918 Chicago Ave
- Evanston Eye Wellness, 716 Main St
- Goods of Evanston, 714 Main St
- Reprise Roasters, 712 Main St.
- Open Studio Project, 903 Sherman Ave
- Follow Your Nose/The Alchemist’s Wife, 917 Sherman Ave
- Sketchbook Brewing Co., 821 Chicago Ave
- Fonseca Martial Arts, 823 1/2 Chicago Ave
- Firehouse Grill, 750 Chicago Ave
- Bentley’s Pet Stuff, 743 Chicago Ave
- Modern Vibe, 611 Dempster St
- Cottage Jewelry, 530 Dempster St
- Evanston Float Center, 800 Dempster St
- Dozika Pan-Asian, 601 Dempster St
Artists to be paired:
D21 Fit Studio is a private personal training studio located just north of Chicago in Evanston. D21 will help you establish a sustainable synergy of effective training and proper nutrition to bring you to your BEST and keep making it better! Their mission is to spread awareness of the importance of a comprehensive, sustainable, fit, and nutritious healthy lifestyle. To deliver optimal results based on individual priorities that make a lasting difference in their clients’ lives, and to promote active involvement within the community. Their vision is to educate and engage men and women with varying needs, ages, and diverse backgrounds to expand their physical fitness capacity, and to be extraordinary in their own way.